Self-Care, Summer 2019

The August 2019 issue of School Library Journal is filled with editorials and articles about the pressures of contemporary librarianship and the need for self-care. The article "Don't Sacrifice Self-Care" by Idamae Craddock, was very specific to the work of school librarians. I was glad to say I stepped away from writing blogs, thinking about inquiry-based teaching and learning and with the exception of two weeks of curriculum-related work with the 7th grade History teacher, a tech camp, and the National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Workshop, "Social Movements and Reform in Industrializing America: The Lowell Experience,"  I took the summer off. I needed time to reflect and answer some questions about the impact of my enthusiasm for IBL and PBL within the school context.
Was I becoming just so much white noise? Were teachers listening politely (or skipping the Division Meetings when I was presenting)? Maybe the time has come for me not to try and push my way to lead and instead respond to those who want to collaborate and work with me. I'm always glad to help teachers align their teaching goals with inquiry. Coupled with this uncertainty upon reflection was the feeling that we once again had to justify some of the library programs for budgets, use of space and other concerns. We are so often required to answer the question, "what goes on in here?" An information and media literacy program that supports inquiry, innovation, and project-based learning and unfettered access to resources that serve N-12 students, parents, and faculty is the answer.
I needed the time with my thoughts and to take care of myself. Long hours of knitting, reading and time with family really helped me disengage for a bit. Traveling to Dublin and spending time in Maine certainly helped. As the article recommends, I set some boundaries, hydrated, left some tasks to be handled at the beginning of school to others, and delegated some work.
Am I ready to start writing regular blog posts with the same passion for IBL that I have felt in years past? Yes. Let's see where the tide takes me. I'm here, and an excellent resource for people who want to think differently about how they teach and how their students learn best. I believe in high levels of engagement asking good questions identifying valuable information sources and creating something new of value to share with the community. This will always be the way I will work with teachers who want to collaborate and embrace an inquiry model and with students who want to ask the questions. Maybe that's enough for now.